400 g Flour, levelled
5 g Salt
60 ml Clarified butter (ghee)
30 ml Yoghurt
105 ml Water, chilled
2 – 3 Green chilies, deseeded finely chopped
7 g Ginger, finely chopped
300 g Potatoes, boiled and mashed
7 g Coriander powder
5 g Cumin (zeera)
2 g Garam masala
5 g Turmeric (haldi) powder
15 ml Lemon juice
5 g Green coriander or parsley, finely chopped
30 g Oil for frying
- Blend flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add clarified butter (ghee), rub it in with your fingertips until it is fully incorporated and the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Add yoghurt, ice water (6 tbsp) and knead to make smooth and pliable dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 1/2 – 1 hour.
- For the filling, combine potatoes and the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and knead with your hands until well blended.
- Divide into 18 portions, keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 18 even portions too.
- Shape each portion into a patty.
- Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap and set aside.
- Flatten each patty in a 21/2 (6.5 cm) round.
- Place one portion of filling in the center of the dough, and then bring the sides of the dough over the filling, to enclose completely.
- Pinch the seams together until thoroughly sealed.
- Cover with a plastic wrap or a moist towel.Shape and stuff the remaining pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadhai (wok) up to 150C/300F.
- Slip in a few patties (seam side down), at a time.
- Fry until light gold and the crust should be blistered and crispy.
- Drain excess oil and serve hot.
- Serve with chutney and ketchup.