1/2 cup Moong Dal (split green grams without skin)
2 tablespoons Cooking Oil
1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
3-4 Garlic cloves, crushed
2 Green Chillies, finely chopped
1 Dry Red Chilli, broken into two pieces
1/2 teaspoon Ginger, grated
4-5 Curry Leaves
1/2 Tomato, diced
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
1½ teaspoons Lemon juice
1½ cups Water
1 tablespoon Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- Wash moong dal in water. Soak it in water for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, drain it.
- Transfer it to a pressure cooker (3-litre capacity). Add 1½ cups water, turmeric powder and salt. Close the lid and pressure cook it on medium flame for 2 whistles.
- Turn off the flame; remove the lid after pressure comes down naturally.
- Heat cooking oil in a small pan for sautéing. Add cumin seeds and when they begin to crackle, add crushed garlic, chopped green chillies, dry red chilli, grated ginger and curry leaves. Sauté them for 30 seconds.
- Add diced tomato and cook for a minute. Add and mix red chilli powder and coriander powder.
- Take it away from flame and pour it over cooked dal. Taste for salt and add more if required.
- Add lemon juice and 1/3 cup water mix well and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and transfer it to serving bowl. Garnish yellow moong ki dal with chopped coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice or plain paratha.