- 2 small chicken breasts (6oz/180g), boneless and skinless
- ½ cup sun dried tomato, cut into strips (oil packed. Use enough to cover the chicken)
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese (or other melting cheese of choice)
- Handful of spinach leaves
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- ½ tsp sugar (any)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp EACH Italian mixed her and red pepper flakes (Note 1)
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Whisk together the Italian Dressing ingredients in a bowl. It will be thicker than salad dressing.
- Cut a pocket into each chicken breast, taking care not to cut all the way though.
- Coat the chicken (inside and out) with the Italian Dressing.
- Place chicken on work surface. Stuff with sun dried tomato, top with cheese then finish with spinach leaves. Just stuff in as much as you can.
- Seal with toothpicks (just stick them in on the diagonal – see photo in post).
- Heat oil in an ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add chicken and cook for 1½ minutes on each side, or until golden.
- Transfer to oven and cook for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly and chicken is cooked through. Rest for 3 minutes before serving, drizzled with the juices in the skillet.
2. Typically, a 6oz/180g chicken breast (which is a small chicken breast) will take 25 minutes to roast at 180C/350F. This recipe takes less time to roast because: a) it is started on the stove; and b) because the breast is stuffed, it cooks a bit from the inside because the stuffing is not as dense as chicken flesh.
Roasting times for different chicken breast sizes (2 – 4 breasts, for more, add a few minutes) at 180C/350F:
Small 6oz/180g – 15 minutes
Medium 7 oz / 210g – 18 minutes
Large 8oz/250g – 20 minutes